My husband and I recently spent a ridiculous amount of time watching the BBC production of Bleak House on DVD. I found it at the library, and, since I love 19th century British literature, it came home with me. (I haven’t read the book, so I can’t tell you how accurate the film version is. But it was wonderfully done.)
It truly is a timeless tale of greed, deception, sorrow, and self-absorption. One man throws away his life with angst over the possibility of a sizeable inheritance that has been tied up in court for years. A high-society lady faces ruination if her youthful indiscretions come to light. And an illegitimate daughter deals with issues of self-worth, having been told repeatedly by an aunt that it would have been better if she had never been born. The music is melancholy and wistful, and there is rarely a smile.
And I wondered…how would these lives have been changed if they had been in a right relationship with the Savior? If they had listened to that little whisper of the Holy Spirit?
Here are ten reasons to escape your own bleak house and get right with God.
- Love. Who couldn’t use more love? And do we really know what love is, apart from God? “In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. … God is love….” 1 John 4:9, 16
- Peace. It’s hard to explain this one when it seems like the whole world is going crazy, but it’s true. “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
- Grace. Gifts from God we don’t deserve, including salvation. “Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:16
- Mercy. When we don’t get what we do deserve, like condemnation. “But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)….” Ephesians 2:4
- Forgiveness. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.” John 3:16-17
- Favor. I think of favor as when God does something good for us because He likes us and approves of us. “A good man obtains favor from the Lord, but a man of wicked intentions He will condemn.” Proverbs 12:2
- Friendship. Jesus is the ultimate friend. “A man who has friends must himself be friendly, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” Proverbs 18:24
- Freedom. From sin, the great taskmaster. “…Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.” John 8:34-36
- Heaven. It is real. “And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” Revelation 21:4
- Hell. It is also real. “If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the everlasting fire. And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire.” Matthew 18:8-9
Are you right with God? Which of these ten resonates with you today?
Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Linking with Your Thriving Family, Consider the Lilies, Comfy in the Kitchen, Beholding Glory, Holy-Spirit-Led Homeschooling, Jenni Mullinix, Our Simple Country Life, Denise in Bloom, Intentional Me, Good Morning Girls, True Aim Education, Deep Roots at Home, Getting Down with Jesus, Raising Homemakers, A Wise Woman Builds Her House, Women Living Well, No Ordinary Blog Hop, Far Above Rubies, Growing Home, Time-Warp-Wife, Lessons From Ivy